Latino Alliance is the Latinx student group at Columbia College Chicago. The goal of Latino Alliance is to create a safe space on campus for Latinx students and allies who want to learn more about the Latinx culture and people within it. Anyone on campus can join the Latin Alliance, doesn’t matter if you’re not Latinx, Latino… You can be of any culture, of any race, anyone is welcome. We’re a group of family and friends who all like to connect with our culture and all share our culture. We use this platform to advance Latinx students in their academic fields and their career fields and also let this be a networking opportunity for them. I’ve met pretty much my best friend at the school here. The meetings technically- we all show up and like the first like 15 minutes is all of us just talking to each other, and seeing how our week was, everyone- because we’re all friends we’re like, “oh how are you? Haven’t seen you since last week.”
– And sometimes we’ll plan out just like a big event during our meeting. So we’ll do like a spa day near midterms or finals week, or we’ll set up like a game day and we’ll play Lotaria or something. I got involved freshman year. All my friends were part of Latino Alliance after that, so I got really close with like the board member and all the other students, and all that. I was like I really like this community I really like being a part of this.
– I started being involved with Latino Alliance when I was a sophomore here at Columbia. I got involved just by coming with a friend. I went to a few meetings, I attended the Dia de los Muertos event and I just fell in love with the group. We do usually one big event per semester. So in the fall semester we focus on our Dia de los Muertos event. It is a student showcase that also celebrates the Dia de los Muertos holiday. We tend to reach out to students and ask them to participate by submitting their artwork or submitting to perform at the event. That way we have a really good mixture of different kinds of talents.
– Being part of Latino Alliance really made me reassure myself and be like you know what, it’s OK being who I am, like there’s other people who do the same thing. It’s like, “this is who you are and you better accept who you are.”
– It’s just really giving me just like a community that I can always go to, like if I’m stressed about anything or have any concerns or I want to share stuff with them like I always have them. They’re like a family me and they’re just like my rock.
– Latino Alliance has made an impact on me by giving me a lot of confidence in not only myself as a half Latinx person, but also as a student leader.
– Students of other cultural backgrounds can learn about our culture through Latino Alliance. They can also learn how to be a better ally. It’s really important also that we respect each other and our differences and just come together.
– Join Latino Alliance… it’s a space you can meet new people.
– Follow Latino Alliance’s instagram @CCCLatinoAlliance, and our Twitter page @LatinoAlliance.
– Join Latino Alliance, we me every Wednesday and Tuesday at 5 at the STI office on the fourth floor.